Studies have shown that when an animal is reclaimed by their owner, it is within one mile of their home. This is especially true for dogs.
We recommend the following if you have found a stray animal:
- Take the animal for a walk around the neighborhood at different times of day. The owners may work different shifts, so vary the time you are out walking.
- Talk to other pet owners in the area.
- Talk to people passing by. Ask if they recognize the animal.
- Create found animal signs and post them.
- Put a sign in your front yard easily seen by cars. The owner may be out looking for their dog too!
- Search Facebook for lost and found pages and post a picture of the animal.
- Create a found record on ASCMV.org
- For more information, visit Best Friends Animal Society